Firewall setup

Lonnie Cumberland lonnie_cumberland "at" yahoo.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 19:42:55 +0000

Hello Charles,

If you go out to:

http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/

You will find some GREAT pre-compiled binaries for setting up the
Router/Firewall/VPN systems that you are wanting.

I have set some up here at the Wayne State University and they are not too
hard. I would suggest using the Eiger router as it is the one that we have
choosen and is running fine.

The distributions are generally ram-based, but can be placed onto a small hard
disk, as we have done also.

One you have your distribution, it is very easy to set up the VNC port
forwarding. We are currently working on adding the module for a VPN as well
between to SUN Enterprise 3500 servers.

On the inside of the router, we have the iXvnc set up and the users just direct
their VNC to a single URL and choose one of the 16 ports that we have set up
for their resolution and desired color range.

(ie.. vortex.cs.wayne.edu:5960 for a VNC viewer)

This way we can set up the resources any way that we choose because they are
masquraded behind the firewall as well.

Hope that this helps,
Lonnie Cumberland