TridiaVNC over ISDN

W. Brian Blevins brian "at" tridia.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 16:55:32 +0000

Jon,

> From: jstranks "at" esoc.esa.de
> Date: Wed Aug 02 2000 - 13:45:49 BST
>

> I have been using VNC 3.3.3r1 (on Solaris) over our in-house network for several
> weeks now and found it to be a very good tool. A colleague now wants to use it
> over an ISDN (64 kbit) line and we are concerned that the low connection speed
> will make VNC unusable in its 'out of the box' configuration.
> I have searched the archives of this list - some people say ISDN lines are
> enough while others disagree.
> What is the truth ?
> Please can anyone advise me on the best configuration options (I have wondered
> about -8bit and -deferupdate)

I find VNC over a single channel ISDN line to be completely usable
with zlib compression enabled.  TridiaVNC supports zlib compression
in the unix and windows clients and servers, as well as the java
viewer (-encodings "zlib hextile copyrect").  You can download
TridiaVNC from:

http://www.tridiavnc.com/

--
Brian