WinVNC - "-connect" command over telnet

Hannes Har hanneshar "at" gmx.net
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 15:44:50 +0000

Hi Erdely,

>The first thing I'd try is doing the same thing on the local network.  If
>that works, you've narrowed it down that your idea is fine, but it's
>probably the firewall that isn't letting you out.

>What "kind" of firewall is it?  Is it doing NAT?  Can you VNC "out" of the
>network through the firewall?

For the first time I played with a very simple network configuration: one W2K PC as a DHCP server, the other one as a DHCP
client, both directly beside each other, no other network. So at this time there is no firewall. From the server I made a telnet
connection to the client, switching to the VNC directory, starting "winvnc -connect servername" and hear only a "ping" noise.
Instead, when I start the command "winvnc -connect server" from a DOS box on the client the waiting VNC viewer on the
server is opening the screen.

So I assume the W2K Telnet Server is not able to start windows programs? I can use any DOS program in such a Telnet
session on the client but it is not possible to start a windows program by typing it's name. At next I've tried to start a batch file.
But the problem remained the same: I can start an other batch, execute CMD commands and activate DOS programs, but
windows tools do not start.

Has anybody experience with the W2K Telnet server for starting Programs? (I hope this is still a issue for this VNC list...?) Or is
there any other way to start remotly "winvnc -connect server" without being in the same room where this PC is?

:-) Hannes