WinVNC - "-connect" command over telnet

Erdely, Michael mike "at" erdelynet.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 11:21:14 +0000

The first thing I'd try is doing the same thing on the local network.  If
that works, you've narrowed it down that your idea is fine, but it's
probably the firewall that isn't letting you out.

What "kind" of firewall is it?  Is it doing NAT?  Can you VNC "out" of the
network through the firewall?

HTH,
-ME

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannes Har" <hanneshar "at" gmx.net>
To: <vnc-list "at" uk.research.att.com>
Sent: Friday, August 11, 2000 2:13 AM
Subject: WinVNC - "-connect" command over telnet

> Hi to all!!!
>
> I'm new to this list so maybe this toppic was discussed before but I found
nothing in the archive.

> I have a Windows2000 Pro system behind a firewall. Actually from outside I
can establish a telnet session to a Unix server and from
> the Unix server again I make a second Telnet connection to my Windows 2000
PC on which the MS W2K- Telnet Server is
> running. So I have access to the W2K PC from outside. Based on this I'd
like to activate WinVNC by the following command line:

> winvnc -connect 12.34.56.78
>
> And this does not work... When I type in this command directly on the W2K
PC in a DOS box I can start by this a VNC session on
> the machine 12.34.56.78 (where the VNC viewer is listening), but this does
not work when I enter the "winvnc -connect
> 12.34.56.78" -command from a telnet session on the W2K PC. I only hear a
"ping" from the speaker when I type in the command
> using a telnet session.
>
> Has anybody an idea what I can do to activate such VNC connection from a
Telnet session?