wasnt sure if this made it out so sorry if this is a repeat.

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at" ingecom.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 00:18:04 +0000

"Michael Kruger" <mkruger "at" uswest.net> wrote:

> Sorry if this is a repeat....not sure if this made it to the list...
>
> I am running vnc server on a win9x client and only desire to connect to it
> intermittently.
> I dont really mind if vnc autoloads as a service, however I would prefer if
> it didn't autodial out to the ISP everytime the computer boots up.
> I suspect it is trying to determine its IP address or something.
> I may try installing a loopback adapter with a phoney IP address to prevent
> this.
> Unfortunately, I do not have access to the machine at this time. Anyone
> think this will work?

Simply disable Windoz's autodial thingy. In
  ControlPanel > Internet > Connection
uncheck the "Connect to internet when needed" checkbox (this damn
control panel mixes MSIE-specific and Internet-wide settings!).

You'll have to run a dialup connection by hand before using any internet
app, but that's a safer setup anyway...

--
JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!