WinVNC and Java

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at" ingecom.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 23:48:45 +0000

Jonathan Morton <chromi "at" chromatix.org.uk> wrote:

[ 8< quotes about the java viewer applet ]

> I've seen cases where a Java client would remain connected to it's server
> and answering network queries as to it's existence, for long after the user
> thinks he has destroyed them.  In fact, the user had "reloaded" the page
> containing the applet, and IE had created a new applet without destroying
> the old one.  Note this was not with the VNC applet but an IRC one (I am an
> IRC Operator on a small network, and this incident regularly appears as
> 'clones').

Oh dear -- you're right, and damn MSIE 4 (even with its SP2) does it to
the VNC applet too, whether you click reload or simply browse elsewhere;
and the ghost applet is still downloading screen updates as if it was
currently displayed!

> I don't remember whether the clients disconnected when the
> browser was moved completely away from the page, or even when the browser
> window was closed.  Remember Win98 contains large pieces of IE as part of
> the OS, and so IE remains loaded even after closing all windows.

Yes, with default settings the ghost remains until you reboot or log
off! But it's highly recommanded to enable MSIE's advanced option "run
in new process" so that it'll behave as a separate browser that can be
really closed. (This is also the only way to socksify it.)

I've added more info about all this to http://vnc.ingecom.com/java.txt

--
JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!