RE(2): Deployment

Gustafsson, Bjorn Bjorn.Gustafsson "at" delaval.com
Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:04:02 +0000

Yeah. I agree to that.
Assuming that your client machines (or, well, servers in VNC-lingo) are all
setup as "standard" machines, i.e. "c:\program files" and so on, the easiest
way is to write a login-script as such:

%%yaddayadda, do your usual stuff%%
if exist "C:\program files\vnc\orwhatever" goto skipinstall
\\REMOTEMACHINE\install_vnc_server.bat
:skipinstall
%%andgoaboutasusual%%

This will install VNC once for every machine, and you'd better leave it in
there for a cpl of months (some ppl take really long vacations sometimes),
to verify that it has been installed on all machines..
Or you could also use install_vnc_server.bat to place a file somewhere on a
drive (for example %systemroot%\vnc_installed.txt), and check for that file
in the login script.
There are of course lots of things you could to to extend this, for example,
write a small program (qbasic works fine :) ) that increments a counter in a
text file somewhere on a server, and use that in install_vnc_server.bat.
When it reaches 1200, you can pull the plug on it :)

   /Bjvrn