RE(2): Deployment

Andy Mason amason "at" mail.cebra.com
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 23:32:45 +0000

Here's the bit you need to get your list of machine names:

for /f "tokens=1 skip=3" %m in ('net view') do echo %m

Try this to see what it does, then replace "echo %m" with "remoteinstall.bat
12:00 %m"
If you want to use this type of for command in a batch file, you need two
%'s for each variable (%%m instead of %m).

This will list ALL names you can see in Network Neighborhood, which might
not be ideal, since it would include servers, etc.

I suppose you could pipe a "net view" to a file, edit it, and use it as a
source for the for command, like this:
for /f %m in (machinenames.txt) do echo %m
This assumes your machinenames.txt has one machine name (or IP) per line.

You could also replace the at command in remoteinstall.bat with soon.exe
from the RK, like this:  soon \\%1 c:\install.bat

Soon just schedules an AT job in 15 seconds.  This means you don't have to
pass a time (which is nice for a few reasons), so all references to %2 in
the remoteinstall.bat should be replaced with %1 (and the for command above
should be run with "remoteinstall.bat %m").

I put stuff like soon, netsvc, and anything not likely to be on the machine
on a network share, and run them like \\machinename\share\soon.exe \\%1
c:\install.bat

I can't see why this wouldn't work for installing to Win9x machines, but the
script would have to be run from an NT machine, for the for command to work.

Andy.