RE(2): Deployment

Alastair Carey alastair "at" hsnz.co.nz
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 22:11:35 +0000

Hi Ian,

What you want to do is definitely possible, but it is a pain, and I am not
aware of any technique that does not require knowing the NetBIOS names or
TCP/IP addresses of the affected machines in advance.

To install a piece of software on a single machine, you can write a batch
script like this, named (e.g.) remoteinstall.bat:

=====================

net use f: \\%2\c$

copy ... f:\ <-- insert copy commands here to copy across VNC EXE files,
DLLs, and exported REG settings

copy install.bat f:\ <-- more about install.bat in just a second
netsvc \\%2 schedule /start
sleep 10
at \\%2 %1 c:\install.bat
net use f: /delete

=====================

%1 is the time scheduled for remote install, and %2 is the NetBIOS machine
name or TCP/IP address of the machine on which to perform the install. So
you run the script like this:

remoteinstall.bat 12:00 my_machine_name

The script connects to the admin C$ share on the remote machine, copies the
required files across to it as well as a script (install.bat) that actually
performs the install _on the remote machine end_, and then schedules the
script to be run at the time you specify via the remote machine's Scheduler
service.

Note that you will need access to the netsvc command line utility from the
NT Resource Kit. This command line utility can start or stop a remote
service from the command line. In the script above, it is used to start the
remote computer's Scheduler service (which by default runs with SYSTEM
security privileges) to schedule the running of the install.bat file copied
across earlier. This way all commands in install.bat are executed with
SYSTEM security priveleges on the remote machine.

install.bat itself just contains the commmands necessary to get the VNC
files in the right place, import the registry settings (which it can do
because it is running with SYSTEM priveleges), and start the service.

Hope that makes sense.

Note that this technique installs the software on a _single_ machine. You'll
need yet another script that, given a precompiled list of NetBIOS machine
names (or TCP/IP addresses), loops around and calls this script. That should
be straight-forward, though. Compiling the list of machine names may well be
the most difficult part of the entire procedure.

I'm sure it's not the most elegant technique, but hey, it works for us.
Having said that, we only have about 30 machines (spread over multiple
continents :)

Best regards
Alastair