WinVNC and Java

Jonathan Morton chromi "at" chromatix.org.uk
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 22:01:32 +0000

>Herbert Morales <Herbert.Morales "at" desy.de> wrote:
>>
>[ 8< About setting the Java viewer's files on a custom webserver ]
>>
>> I read your java.txt and now it works with copying all class and jar
>> files.
>>
>> The reason I use the batch is to hard disconnect the user. I thing,
>> the applet takes a lot of CPU-time on the server side. Do you think
>> this is correct? What happens if a client only close the browser
>> window and don't use the disconnect field of the applet? It is still
>> connected to the server?
>
>>From my experience: nope.
>
>While the applet is running, you can close the browser or jump to a
>bookmark or whatever w/o using the disconnect button: the applet will be
>notified of its termination and will close connection and do cleanup
>before shutting down.
>
>I've even tested pulling off a computer's power wire while the applet
>was connected: in that case the server will automatically detect the
>connection loss after some time (i.e.: I've seen the server's tray icon
>turn back to "white" less than 30 seconds after client's poweroff). Same
>thing would apply to the case where the browser or JVM would crash...

I've seen cases where a Java client would remain connected to it's server
and answering network queries as to it's existence, for long after the user
thinks he has destroyed them.  In fact, the user had "reloaded" the page
containing the applet, and IE had created a new applet without destroying
the old one.  Note this was not with the VNC applet but an IRC one (I am an
IRC Operator on a small network, and this incident regularly appears as
'clones').  I don't remember whether the clients disconnected when the
browser was moved completely away from the page, or even when the browser
window was closed.  Remember Win98 contains large pieces of IE as part of
the OS, and so IE remains loaded even after closing all windows.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/