WinVNC and Java

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at"
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:37:27 +0000

Herbert Morales <Herbert.Morales "at"> wrote:
[ 8< About setting the Java viewer's files on a custom webserver ]
> I read your java.txt and now it works with copying all class and jar
> files.
> The reason I use the batch is to hard disconnect the user. I thing,
> the applet takes a lot of CPU-time on the server side. Do you think
> this is correct? What happens if a client only close the browser
> window and don't use the disconnect field of the applet? It is still
> connected to the server?

>From my experience: nope.

While the applet is running, you can close the browser or jump to a
bookmark or whatever w/o using the disconnect button: the applet will be
notified of its termination and will close connection and do cleanup
before shutting down.

I've even tested pulling off a computer's power wire while the applet
was connected: in that case the server will automatically detect the
connection loss after some time (i.e.: I've seen the server's tray icon
turn back to "white" less than 30 seconds after client's poweroff). Same
thing would apply to the case where the browser or JVM would crash...

JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)
Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!
to majordomo "at"
See also: