WinVNC and Java

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at" ingecom.com
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 17:37:27 +0000

Herbert Morales <Herbert.Morales "at" desy.de> wrote:

[ 8< About setting the Java viewer's files on a custom webserver ]

> I read your java.txt and now it works with copying all class and jar
> files.
>
> The reason I use the batch is to hard disconnect the user. I thing,
> the applet takes a lot of CPU-time on the server side. Do you think
> this is correct? What happens if a client only close the browser
> window and don't use the disconnect field of the applet? It is still
> connected to the server?

>From my experience: nope.

While the applet is running, you can close the browser or jump to a
bookmark or whatever w/o using the disconnect button: the applet will be
notified of its termination and will close connection and do cleanup
before shutting down.

I've even tested pulling off a computer's power wire while the applet
was connected: in that case the server will automatically detect the
connection loss after some time (i.e.: I've seen the server's tray icon
turn back to "white" less than 30 seconds after client's poweroff). Same
thing would apply to the case where the browser or JVM would crash...

--
JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!