Authenication

Nicholas Riley njriley "at" uiuc.edu
Tue, 08 Aug 2000 00:19:04 +0000

On Mon, Aug 07, 2000 at 11:14:01PM +0100, Jonathan Morton wrote:

> What I'm saying, is that instead of using SMB, use a relatively simple TCP
> connection using a new protocol.  Then servers and auth-servers can run on
> any platform, not just those that happen to support SMB.

Seems like a better solution would be to build a plug-in
authentication mechanism, that way you're not tied to either SMB or
another fixed protocol (password sniffing anyone?).  On Unix, there
are already mechanisms for this (e.g. PAM and NSS).  On the Mac, you
could build off AppleShare UAMs, I guess, or plugins for, say, LDAP,
could be built.  (NSL has some support for LDAP, too).  On Windows, I
have no idea.

--
Nicholas Riley <njriley "at" uiuc.edu> | <http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/njriley>