WinVNC and Java

Herbert Morales Herbert.Morales "at"
Mon, 07 Aug 2000 10:02:09 +0000

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe wrote:

> Herbert Morales <Herbert.Morales "at"> wrote:
> >
> [ 8< About setting the Java viewer's files on a custom webserver ]
> >
> > Jean: I tried, but dont succes.
> You must have forgotten some files or something, it's something that
> works. I've put online a reader-enabled summary of my notes about
> VNC/Java/etc. at:
> The way to do that is in point #1...
> > So I did a trick: In a Visual Basic programm I have a timer of 10
> > minutes interval and it executes the folowing cmd-file:
> >
> > @echo off
> > cd \Program Files\ORL\Vnc
> > winvnc.exe -kill
> > net start winvnc > nul
> VB? You could do it simply using the SLEEP.EXE utility from NTRK
>   :Disconnect
>   <your stuff>
>   SLEEP 600
>   GOTO Disconnect
> or, similarly, using SOON.EXE at the end of the batch so that it always
> schedules itself for being executed again N seconds in the future.
> > Ok, the connection is interruped by a short time and the user have to
> > reload the brower again.
> The annoying thing here is that vnc is restarted independantly of the
> user's session: one could connect in the applet and then be possibly
> forcefully disconnected just a few seconds later -- it is not a
> "disconnection after N minutes of use".
> OTOH, the good point is that it's not possible to cheat, if those
> repeated disconnections are important for you. Using a browser-driven
> META-refresh scheme, it's always possible for someone really wanting it
> to avoid being disconnected...
> > Curiosly: The sys tray icon disappar, but VNC works fine again.
> That's nothing curious: after restarting WinVNC service on NT you have
> to rerun the Service Helper, i.e.:
>   winvnc.exe -servicehelper
> so as to make trayicon come back. More importantly, while you don't do
> that, WinVNC will use your "Default settings" (especially the password)
> instead of "User settings".
> --
> JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)
> Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!
> to majordomo "at"
> See also:

I read your java.txt and now it works with copying all class and jar files.

The reason I use the batch is to hard disconnect the user. I thing, the
applet takes a lot of CPU-time on the server side. Do you think this is
correct? What happens if a client only close the browser window and don't
use the disconnect field of the applet? It is still connected to the

to majordomo "at"
See also: