VNC and Windows 95

Herbst, Allen HerbstA "at" GourmetAward.com
Sun, 06 Aug 2000 12:14:20 +0000

I'm not sure of this is any help, but I run WinVNC 3.3.3r1 and 3.3.3r7 on
all sorts of Windows 95 machines, and I've never had the problem you are
describing.  I am able to log in to my Win95 machines almost as soon as they
boot into Windows.

The install process I follow:

1 - run the install program to install VNC
2 - reboot computer
3 - run start>programs>VNC>WinVNC (App Mode)
4 - when it asks me for a password, I type in "password"
5 - I then goto start>run, and type "winvnc -defaultsettings"
6 - when it asks me for a password (again), I type in my real password
7 - run start>programs>VNC>Administrative Tools>Install WinVNC Service
8 - run regedit, and add DWORD values for the AllowProperties=0 and
AllowShutdown=0
  a - It's on the web page somewhere, but the values I change are located in
HKLM>Software>ORL>WinVNC3>Default
9 - remove the VNC folder from the start menu

This works great for me, and like I said, I probably have every version of
Win95 floating around here.  FWIW, I use the same procedure for Win95,
Win98, and WinNT (altho I have to have local admin rights in NT).

Hope this helps someone!

Allen Herbst
Network Administrator
Gourmet Award Foods Southeast