Development (was Re: LOGGING!!)

Tim Waugh twaugh "at" redhat.com
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 20:53:18 +0000

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 03:24:42PM -0400, W. Brian Blevins wrote:

> I'm not clear on the distinction between an open and a closed
> list.  If you could enlighten me on the differences, benefits
> and drawbacks, maybe I could work towards some improvement of
> our site and configuration.  We are certainly very interested
> in feedback concerning the developer web site and services.

What I meant by 'open list' was a list where all you need to join it
is a valid email address.  No other personal details required.

> Right now, the www.developVNC.org site requires that one sign
> up as a TridiaVNC developer to access the email list (and the
> archives).  However, this registration step is completely free
> and open to anyone who is interested.  You do have to be a
> member of the developer list or the digest in order to post
> to the list.  However, there is no moderator for the developer
> list.

All well and good, but signing up as a TridiaVNC developer requires
more information than a valid email address. (Only allowing those
subscribed to post is fine though.)

I've heard people resenting the fact that you have to sign up as a
developer in order to look at the CVS repository too.  As far as I
remember you don't have anonymous CVS access, which would be nice.

Tim.
*/

[demime 0.97b removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]