How to connect to the internet

Ingecom - SERRE Jean-Christophe jcs "at" ingecom.com
Thu, 03 Aug 2000 12:36:55 +0000

Luis Paiva <luis.paiva "at" inst-informatica.pt> wrote:

> I have been using VNC in my lan without any problem. Now i have been
> trying to use it to connect to my home from my Lan. In between i have
> a proxy. As i understood the proxy accepts connections from the inside
> clients in port 8080 and redirects them to port 80. So, i have to say
> to VNC to use the proxy server as the gateway to the internet. In
> internet explorer and most of the ftp clients, i have a way to
> configure it, but i don't know how to do it with VNC.

This is probably just a web/ftp proxy, VNC can't use that. You somehow
need a real TCP/IP connection to the outside (I reckon your comp is on a
pseudo LAN address w/o a gateway set up). Various ways are:

-Ask your admin if you can get a NAT mapping between your comp and an
external IP of your proxy/gateway, at least opened just for reaching
your home comp.

-Ask your admin if your proxy supports SOCKS; if so, you can use the
free SOCKScap utility from
 http://www.socks.nec.com/sockscap.html
so as to 'socksify' your vncviewer.exe and connect it to the outside (it
may require your admin to allow port 5900 in SOCKS, and possibly provide
you a SOCKS login:password if that's SOCKS-5 instead of SOCKS-4).

-Check if your web proxy supports the CONNECT feature, then you could
use the free utility HTTPort from
 http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/6651/httport.htm
so as to connect to the outside (note that normally your proxy should
NOT support that or have it enabled :-)

-Else, you have to use a modem and an ISP connection for that purpose...

--
JCS - Jean-Christophe SERRE - INGECOM France - +33 (0)1.48.34.12.34

Microsoft: the 51st State of America -- 52nd coming soon!