Development (was Re: LOGGING!!)

Jens Wagner jwagner "at" hexonet.de
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 21:33:59 +0000

Jonathan Morton:

> I've no idea how syslog works "under the bonnet", since I have virtually
> zero UNIX programming experience.  And yes, I think the forking process of
> VNC is getting more than a touch out of hand - I can count at least half a
> dozen WinVNC's and three Xvnc's, all based directly on the AT&T source.
> Someone really needs to get their head down and integrate all the features
> into one version for each platform, espeically if it isn't going to be much
> bigger than the 'standard' version.

You're right, it would be much better to have all patches integrated in
the main branch. A bigger problem arises with the protocol fork's (e.g.
zlib compression).
It's very important to have an official protocol with all extensions
soon.

> I think we need to consider the reasons why we'd want something like this,
> and then try to implement it as a separate protocol.  If this works out, it
> could be eventually integrated into VNC so that the same applications are
> serving/receiving both protocols at once.  The other aspect to remember is
> that many of the decent audio-compression formats are proprietary or
> patented, and thus not amenable to the GPL.

That's right, but at least ogg vorbis is available under the (L)GPL.
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/index.html

It would be nice to have an extension that allows 'plug-in-streams', so
other protocols could be tunneled, e.g. for filetransfer, sound,
printing and so on.

- jens