VNC and Windows 95

Jonathan Morton chromi "at" cyberspace.org
Wed, 02 Aug 2000 13:50:09 +0000

>I'm not sure of the inner workings of VNC nor am I a Win95 programming
>genius but I assume VNC is a 32-bit app which must be run in protected mode
>for Win95.

Yup, most likely.

>This is what it means to me (of course, I could be very mistaken, as
>usual). If VNC is a 32-bit protected mode app, it cannot be loaded until
>the processor is switched to protected mode and the protected mode portion
>of the operating system is loaded regardless if it is a service or started
>from the command shell or startup folder.

Yes, but I don't see any reason why "services" should be loaded before this
has happened.  After all, most "services" would be 32-bit protected-mode in
any case.  Stuff in the Startup folder certainly isn't loaded until Windows
has fully started.

>So what is the fix? As far as I can tell, you would have to load a
>real-mode stack and any other required components in AUTOEXEC.BAT so that
>they start on initial bootup. Then I'm guessing VNC should be able to see
>the login screen.

I wasn't aware that it wasn't seeing it (Windoze is definitely not my
primary OS, and this is the first mention of the problem I remember
seeing).  I'll try it on my own installation - Win95 OSR2, under the
Virtual PC emulator.

from:     Jonathan "Chromatix" Morton
uni-mail: j.d.morton "at" lancaster.ac.uk

Get VNC Server for Macintosh from http://chromatix.autistics.org/vnc/