Linux-to-Win Remote Control

Quentin Stafford-Fraser quentin "at" orl.co.uk
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 18:12:29 +0000

"Luis B. Almeida" wrote:

> According to information that circulated in this list some time ago, the
> next revision of VNC will incorporate compression. Apparently, that
> version is expected to be released soon.

Yes, protocol 3.4 will include a zlib compression alongside hextile
etc.  But don't hold your breath - I'm not likely to get around to
this before, oh, let's say, 6 weeks from now.

We've found that for simple screens hextile compression is similar to
zlib, but zlib is a big win if you have images, dithering, etc.  It
does, however, introduce a little latency at the server end, so people
on fast networks will probably still want to use hextile.

Quentin