QuickBooks freezes w/ WinVNC

Fri, 30 Oct 1998 16:48:39 +0000

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, John Wilkes wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
>
> > Is QuickBooks a 16-bit or 32-bit program?  Also, note that the registry
> > entry for it won't be created until you close down QuickBooks while a
> > remote session is in progress, because of the way the hooks are used to
> > save the registry information.
>
> I don't know how to tell, but I'd guess 16-bit because they're touting,
> "QuickBooks is now optimized for 32-bit to work within Windows 95, 98, or
> NT 4.0 environments."  Sounds like a good reason to upgrade to the
> QuickBooks 6.0 release.
>
> My Win95 use is almost exclusively through WinVNC from a Linux vncviewer,
> and I have run several Quickbooks sessions start to finish that way; if it
> was going to get into the registry, it would have done so by now.

Yes.  I know that 16-bit apps usually get hooked OK under NT but they may
cause trouble under 95 because it's much worse at hiding the inherent
nastiness of Win16 from everything else.  Upgrading to 6.0 may be your
best option, not least because Win95 doesn't schedule Win16 applications
pre-emptively - which may also help explain the lock-ups you're seeing.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -