QuickBooks freezes w/ WinVNC

John Wilkes john "at" wilkes.com
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 20:57:47 +0000

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Bruce Tulloch wrote:
>
> > > From: John Wilkes <john "at" wilkes.com>
> > >
> > > The only problem I've hit is when running QuickBooks.  The program uses pop-up
> > > menus for things like the customer list and the vendor list.
> >
> > My guess is that some of these programs don't use the hooks WinVNC know about to
> > evaluate screen update sends. It appears that WinVNC gets caught in some tight
> > loops causing update events to become bogged down in the send queue.
>
> There is an option, which can be given in the VNCHooks section of the
> registry, called use_DeferredUpdates, which can be set to zero to prevent
> WinVNC from posting into the problem application's message queue.  This
> may well fix the above problem.

There is no HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ORL\VNCHooks\Application_Prefs\QBW.EXE
in my registry.  I see lots of other apps, including QW.EXE (Quicken), but
no QuickBooks.  Being a long time unix user, I have been dragged kicking
and screaming into the MS-Windows world, and I am clueless about this
registry stuff.

Regards,
John Wilkes

Logic Probe Inc.

inet: john "at" Logic-Probe.com            |     "Try not.
addr: 321 High School Rd NE #367      |      Do.
city: Bainbridge Island, Washington   |      Or do not.
code: 98110			      |      There is no try."
icbm: 47 37 42 N / 122 29 36 W	      |           - Yoda