vnc-list-digest V1 #115

Thu, 29 Oct 1998 12:27:11 +0000

On Thu, 29 Oct 1998, Bruce Tulloch wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:50:01 -0800 (PST)
> > From: John Wilkes <john "at" wilkes.com>
> > Subject: QuickBooks freezes w/ WinVNC + linux vncviewer
> >
> > I recently installed VNC to run Win95 apps on Linux systems, and it is a
> > real pleasure to be able to use Quicken, et al, without changing seats.
> >
> > The only problem I've hit is when running QuickBooks.  The program uses pop-up
> > menus for things like the customer list and the vendor list.
>
> I have found exactly the same problem with QB 5.0 and parts of Microsoft Office
> 97 (Word in particular).
>
> My guess is that some of these programs don't use the hooks WinVNC know about to
> evaluate screen update sends. It appears that WinVNC gets caught in some tight
> loops causing update events to become bogged down in the send queue.
>
> Anyone from ORL have a more precise answer and resolution for this problem with
> WinVNC ?

There is an option, which can be given in the VNCHooks section of the
registry, called use_DeferredUpdates, which can be set to zero to prevent
WinVNC from posting into the problem application's message queue.  This
may well fix the above problem.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -