vnc-list-digest V1 #115

Bruce Tulloch bruce "at" discrete.net
Thu, 29 Oct 1998 11:51:55 +0000

> Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 21:50:01 -0800 (PST)
> From: John Wilkes <john "at" wilkes.com>
> Subject: QuickBooks freezes w/ WinVNC + linux vncviewer
>
> I recently installed VNC to run Win95 apps on Linux systems, and it is a
> real pleasure to be able to use Quicken, et al, without changing seats.
>
> The only problem I've hit is when running QuickBooks.  The program uses pop-up
> menus for things like the customer list and the vendor list.

I have found exactly the same problem with QB 5.0 and parts of Microsoft Office
97 (Word in particular).

My guess is that some of these programs don't use the hooks WinVNC know about to
evaluate screen update sends. It appears that WinVNC gets caught in some tight
loops causing update events to become bogged down in the send queue.

Anyone from ORL have a more precise answer and resolution for this problem with
WinVNC ?

Cheers, Bruce Tulloch.

--
Director Software,                              ph: +61 2 9212 3469
Discrete Time Systems Pty. Ltd.                fax: +61 2 9212 3470