Multi-Visual Support for Xvnc

Dave DeBarr debarr "at" mitre.org
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:27:36 +0000

Currently, Xvnc seems to support only one visual at a time (e.g. true color or pseudocolor, not both).  I am interested in modifying the server to allow it to support multiple visuals simultaneously [specifically, I want the X server to support true color and pseudocolor visuals simultaneously].  In the faq (http://www.orl.co.uk/vnc/faq.html), the response to "What X Visual does Xvnc use?" indicates that the Xvnc developers "tried to steer clear of colour maps as much as possible and normally use true colour, even when there are only 8 bits per pixel."  Why was this done?  Any help that you can give will be greatly appreciated!

--
Dave DeBarr
MITRE; Room S4149, Mail Stop W548