problem with vncviewer & fvwm95/linux

Tue, 27 Oct 1998 09:59:09 +0000

On Mon, 26 Oct 1998, John Wilkes wrote:

> I recently stumbled onto VNC, and it is awesome!  Having a Win95 session
> running in an X window is a dream come true.
>
> My client machine is a Linux 2.0.33 system with Fvwm version 2.0.42a and I
> have noticed that vncviewer confuses the Fvwm95 task bar.  It seems to
> randomly "steal" the button of some other window.  One time VNC will be
> attached to a button labeled "Netscape" and my real Netscape window will
> not have a button.  Another time VNC might grab a button belonging to an
> xterm window.  Sometimes, the task bar crashes when vcnviewer exits.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?  Is it a Fvwm problem?

When I ran the Amiga Window Manager (amiwm), I noticed that vncviewer
doesn't have an iconised name.  I suspect that this is what's causing the
problem - fvwm95 may be using the iconised name to distinguish windows.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -