mac vs sgi

Wolfram Gloger wmglo "at"
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:05:46 +0000

> since the cable modem's throughput from the network is 1.5
> mbit/s the performance seemed much better.  however, since the release
> of the mac viewer, my view has changed.  when i use the mac viewer at
> school, in the same cluster as the sgi, the performance is much better.
> why?  is there a way to get the same speed from the sgi viewer?

Can you check what visual the SGI viewer uses (e.g. by examining the
log file from an Xvnc server) ?  If it is a 24bit TrueColor one, and
the Mac viewer only uses 8bit graphics, that may explain a performace
decrease of up to a factor of 3 for a slow network.

You may also experiment with the `-bgr233' and `-d' switches of the

If the visual (and compression) used by both viewers is the same, I
have no clue however why the Mac could be considerably faster.

`Surf the sea, not double-u three...'
wmglo "at"

The VNC mailing list     -   see