backgrounds

Todd Rinaldo todd "at" tamu.edu
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 20:37:06 +0000

> With all the talk about backgrounds, I learned early on using remote
> control programs over 14.4 dial up that we really don't need graphical
> backgrounds.  All the machines I control remotely run plain black
> backgrounds, and it makes a noticeable difference in speeds.  Actually any
> flat color works.
This seems like something that could be incorporated into the VNC server,
to not send the background as an option. When I was looking for remote access
solutions, I *think* it was Carbon Copy that offered an option on the server
not to send the background...
	Don't have any idea how the server transfers the screen, whether it's
just doing a screen capture and sending it across or whether it looks at the
settings and determines that there should be a screen saver there and sends that.
If it looks at the settings, obviously this would make it a simple option...
					My 2 cents!
					Todd Rinaldo