backgrounds

John Tangney jtangney "at" sybase.com
Thu, 22 Oct 1998 19:07:52 +0000

Colin Swan wrote:

> > With all the talk about backgrounds, I learned early on using remote
> > control programs over 14.4 dial up that we really don't need graphical
> > backgrounds.  All the machines I control remotely run plain black
> > backgrounds, and it makes a noticeable difference in speeds.  Actually any
> > flat color works.
>
> Yes, I used to have a plain black background on my home PC
> 28.8 connection, and VNC was useable. After visiting the
> Teletubbies site (I have two small daughters), I now have delightful
> Laa-Laa wallpaper, and VNC takes an age to load, or do anything
> that requires redrawing the background :-)

That's encouraging news. I have tried running VNC server on my Mac at home,
connected via a 28.8 PPP connection. My Mac has a cute desktop picture too. I
ran the client on my windoze box at work, and found that doing anything on the
Mac was unusably slow. Perhaps if I eliminate the background, I can get some
reasonable performace? Your experience seems to suggest that I could.

Any other tips, anyone, on getting better performance out of a Mac server over a
phone line?

--johnt