NT Server Hangs revisited

FRANK PAPA FPAPA "at" email.usps.gov
Wed, 21 Oct 1998 19:29:29 +0000

     I just had something similar happen.  I have a dial-out on a singl=
     P120.  I used VNC to disconnect and re-dial.  That all went OK, bu=
t I
     noticed that my Access database (located on that same machine) had=
     locked connection.  There was nothing that I could do to unlock it=
 (I
     had no open connections).  I had to reboot to fix this.  This may =
be
     related.  Hope it helps track down the problem.

                                                        -Frank

______________________________ Forward Header _________________________=
_________
Subject: NT Server Hangs revisited
Author:  owner-vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk at INTERNET
Date:    10/21/98 12:55 PM

Remember this?:

> We have a TCP/IP NT4 and W95/98 network. We have the VNC server on th=
e NT
> server and the viewer on my W98 machine. Works brilliantly unless the=

server
> negotiates a dial out TCP/IP session while the viewer is active. What=

> usually happens then is a complete network freeze (but not always). T=
he
> server and workstations still function but there is no network. Re-bo=
oting
> the server solves the problem.
>
> I now find that it is not only RAS that causes this but any activity =
that
> plays with TCP/IP settings as you have found. I also think this behav=
iour
is
> more prevalent on a dual processor server rather than a single proces=
sor
> server.

Well as a last resort, we've taken the D-Link 100-Base-TX card out and
replaced it with a 3com 100-Base-TX card and it's early days but the se=
rver
seems to be taking everything we throw at it at the moment. Teaches us =
buy cheap :-(

I'm pleased to be able to use VNC in anger now and also to remove the b=
lame
from it.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
Jason Ozin - Campaign Director
JBD - Jewish Blind & Disabled - UK
The Independent Charity providing independent living
Tel: 0181 883 1000
Fax: 0181 444 6729
Email: jjo "at" jbd.org

*To: vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk at INTERNET