VNC Proxy - ideas?

Todd Aiken taiken "at" ubishops.ca
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 16:20:05 +0000

> Date:          Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:16:31 +0200
> From:          "Marinos J. Yannikos" <nino "at" complang.tuwien.ac.at>
> To:            vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk
> Subject:       VNC Proxy - ideas?

> It seems that many people are requesting additional features, which would
> complicate the VNC protocol and require new versions of both client and
> server. In some cases, this can't be avoided (e.g. 1 bpp support and
> compression, which would be useful for me as well), but perhaps it would
> be a good idea to design a VNC proxy server which can handle some of the
> complexity of the requested features, while the clients and original servers
> are kept simple. Some features that could be implemented with a proxy sitting
> between server and client:
> - controlling several server displays from a single client, perhaps with
>   an overview display showing all server displays in a "thumbnail" view,
>   zooming-in on demand to a particular server.
> - multicasting (not sure if the current clients could handle this...)
> - session management (client connects to proxy; proxy shows available servers
>   and offers a dialog box to choose from, or starts a server first)
> - serial/parallel port connections (would require only new clients; not
>   sure if it's worth it, since it's the same code whether it's implemented
>   in the proxy or in the server itself)
>
> Does anyone else think that such a proxy server would constitute a useful
> project? At least the one client -> multiple servers handling seems
> useful enough to me.
>
> What I miss most at the moment is a way to start a Xvnc server from the
> client, without having to start up a telnet session first (and without
> having to keep Xvnc running all the time).

I agree 100%.  This is my problem too.  Right now, I use CRT Telnet
and have a short script file to log me into my Linux server, start
vncviewer, and then log out.  It would be great if there was some way
to start and stop Xvnc when a connection was detected/lost.  The
session management stuff sounds cool, too.  I am definately all for
this proxy project.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken                  | This space can be yours, for just four
Technician                     | easy payments of $39.95.  Plus, buy
Cole Computer Centre           | one half and get the 2nd half for 50%
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY            | off the cost of the two together!
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA    | Call 1-800-4-RIPOFF today!