Setting for Background

Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:14:58 +0000

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Dan Izydorek wrote:

> Is there a setting you can choose on the viewer or server end that doesn't
> display the background of the host on the viewer?  So that there is less
> data to transfer.

At present, no, because that sort of thing is rather difficult to do, in
general.  The PC version _could_ try to change the background pattern to
something plain when a connection is in progress but I think this would be
rather more confusing than anything else.

There's also the fact that I don't _think_ there's any approved way of
changing the background image on Windows - I think you'd have to just muck
about with the registry.

Quentin's new ZLib encoding for VNC should make this particular situation
much better, though.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -