Multicasting

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:50:42 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Ronald L Fox wrote:

> Thanks James, that does indeed work!  I'm hoping to use this in a distributed
> classroom setting where the VNC client PCs may be scattered around on
> campus with the class participants on a voice conference call.
>
> Would it be a straightforward to graft the RFB server component of Xvnc
> and the RFB client of vncviewer together, omitting the X server component
> of Xvnc to create a RFB proxy without all the overhead of X to RFB
> conversion?  This should reduce the latency considerably.

That should be very straightforward to do, from the existing source.  All
the X specific parts of the viewer and server would dissappear, leaving
only the RFB related sections of the system, which would basically be
viewing the desired desktop into a framebuffer in memory and then
exporting it to the other clients.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -