S3 problems?

Sat, 17 Oct 1998 17:50:34 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, matthew joseph valenta wrote:

> > I have an S3 Virge card with 4Mb running under W95 viewer and Linux server
> > quite OK at the moment.  When I run the same machine under Linux itself
> > (still S3 Virge and 4Mb and viewing Linux) the colours go rather
> > psychedelic, flicking to OK within the VNC viewer when the mouse activates
> > the VNC viewer with the rest psychedelic and vice versa so in principle
> > it's usable but it's not too much fun to use.
>
> I also have an S3 Virge on a Linux machine.  I run Xvnc on it and view
> from a Windows machine.  From the Windows machine, my control of Linux is
> down right speedy (I can watch movies, and almost play Maelstrom.)  But,
> when I run X with TWM and start up vncviewer on the Linux machine, I also
> get funky colors and REALLY slow performance.  My solution is to just view
> from Win95.  That's about all Win95 is useful for anyway; VNCviewer is the
> only thing that doesn't crash the machine.

:)  Yep.  Linux is a _little_ more reliable than Windows, certainly...
The speed problem viewing the desktop locally is unusual.  I think Xvnc
switches to uncompressed mode when dealing with local viewers, so that
local connections should just pass straight through the socket layer's
loop-back mode with minimal delay.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -