S3 problems?

John Logsdon j.logsdon "at" lancaster.ac.uk
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 14:39:02 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, matthew joseph valenta wrote:

> > I have an S3 Virge card with 4Mb running under W95 viewer and Linux server
> > quite OK at the moment.  When I run the same machine under Linux itself
> > (still S3 Virge and 4Mb and viewing Linux) the colours go rather
> > psychedelic, flicking to OK within the VNC viewer when the mouse activates
> > the VNC viewer with the rest psychedelic and vice versa so in principle
> > it's usable but it's not too much fun to use.
>
> I also have an S3 Virge on a Linux machine.  I run Xvnc on it and view
> from a Windows machine.  From the Windows machine, my control of Linux is
> down right speedy (I can watch movies, and almost play Maelstrom.)  But,
> when I run X with TWM and start up vncviewer on the Linux machine, I also
> get funky colors and REALLY slow performance.  My solution is to just view
> from Win95.  That's about all Win95 is useful for anyway; VNCviewer is the
> only thing that doesn't crash the machine.
>
> Matt
> mvalenta "at" u.washington.edu

So it isn't just me.  I was hoping it would just be a matter of tweaking a
thing or two 'cos I don't want to change an otherwise good video card/

Just for the record (in case Matt and I have both got it wrong) does
anyone have VNC on Linux with S3 Virge/4Mb viewing anything (W95, Linux,
Cambridge Uni coffee pot or whatever)  without the post-Armageddon
solarisation?

Or is this a question for Wez?

John