S3 problems?

matthew joseph valenta mvalenta "at" u.washington.edu
Sat, 17 Oct 1998 03:58:25 +0000

> I have an S3 Virge card with 4Mb running under W95 viewer and Linux server
> quite OK at the moment.  When I run the same machine under Linux itself
> (still S3 Virge and 4Mb and viewing Linux) the colours go rather
> psychedelic, flicking to OK within the VNC viewer when the mouse activates
> the VNC viewer with the rest psychedelic and vice versa so in principle
> it's usable but it's not too much fun to use.

I also have an S3 Virge on a Linux machine.  I run Xvnc on it and view
from a Windows machine.  From the Windows machine, my control of Linux is
down right speedy (I can watch movies, and almost play Maelstrom.)  But,
when I run X with TWM and start up vncviewer on the Linux machine, I also
get funky colors and REALLY slow performance.  My solution is to just view
from Win95.  That's about all Win95 is useful for anyway; VNCviewer is the
only thing that doesn't crash the machine.

Matt
mvalenta "at" u.washington.edu