Multicasting

Ronald L Fox rfox "at" dls.queens.org
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 23:10:27 +0000

At 04:10 PM 10/16/98 +0100, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Ronald L Fox wrote:

>> >If you have a Unix machine on the same network as the others, you could
>> >pass the WinVNC output through an Xvnc - Xvnc handles multiple clients far
>> >better than WinVNC, which currently is arranged in a really silly way with
>> >regard to multiple connections.
>>
>> Sounds like a very useful application for VNC but how would one get Xvnc to act
>> as a proxy RFB server?  I don't see anything among the documented Xvnc options
>> that suggest this behavior is currently possible.
>
>You simply start the server at the same resolution as your PC screen.
>Then you run a copy of vncviewer inside that server, without a window
>manager, and using the wmdecoration flag, to get a full-screen viewer.
>The viewer connects back to the PC and then you let the lab machines
>connect to the Xvnc server.
>
>That should work, albeit with some latency added because of the extra
>layer of indirection.

Thanks James, that does indeed work!  I'm hoping to use this in a distributed
classroom setting where the VNC client PCs may be scattered around on
campus with the class participants on a voice conference call.

Would it be a straightforward to graft the RFB server component of Xvnc
and the RFB client of vncviewer together, omitting the X server component
of Xvnc to create a RFB proxy without all the overhead of X to RFB
conversion?  This should reduce the latency considerably.

Regards,
Ron

--
Ronald L Fox                                   Email: rfox "at" dls.queens.org
Diagnostic Laboratory Services, Inc.