S3 problems?

John Logsdon j.logsdon "at" lancaster.ac.uk
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 22:29:31 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Sven Eklund wrote:
>
> > All the computers are of the same type and they have a S3 Virge GX2 graphics
> > card (AGP I think). I suspect the graphics card is the problem, perhaps in
> > combination with other hardware. Anyone else had similiar problems OR can
> > someone confirm that VNC-server actually works with S3 GX2 cards and
> > Windows?
>
> It could be a problem with the S3 Virge drivers.  We've had a problem here
> with a Linux box with an S3 Virge card trashing the on-card font cache if
> you use the upper 2Mb of video RAM.  I wonder if the Windows drivers for
> S3 Virge have any similar problems that are causing system corruption,
> since the graphics subsystem is now in the NT kernel?

I have an S3 Virge card with 4Mb running under W95 viewer and Linux server
quite OK at the moment.  When I run the same machine under Linux itself
(still S3 Virge and 4Mb and viewing Linux) the colours go rather
psychedelic, flicking to OK within the VNC viewer when the mouse activates
the VNC viewer with the rest psychedelic and vice versa so in principle
it's usable but it's not too much fun to use.

I put that down to not having the numbers of bits set up properly as I was
only experimenting - I've had no trouble with S3 Virge otherwise and would
recommend them as a cheap and cheerful graphics card.

I am using Xfree86 3.2 with fvwm95, RH4.1.  Which X implementation are you
using?

John