First time user

Albert Crosby acrosby "at" comp.uark.edu
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:08:52 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Dan Izydorek wrote:

> Can somebody help me with using VNC for the first time.  I have installed
> the server on my NT workstation at work which has an Dialup connection.  I
> want to be able to access my computer at work from home through an Internet
> connection.  What address, etc. do I type into the viewer at home to access
> my machine at work?

>From your description, I can see two possible scenarios.  I'm going to
describe the best-case first, and then the worst-case.

If your office machine has both a connection to a LAN and is running RAS
for in-bound connections, you are in good shape.  You'll dial your office
machine from home, RAS will answer the phone, and you can do IP traffic.
On the client at home, you'll need to enter the IP address assigned to
your office machine.  The command line invocation of the Win32 viewer
would be something like "vncviewer 100.100.2.9:0" where you replace
100.100.2.9 with your office machine's address.

Now for the worst-case.  If your machine at work connects to the Internet
with a dial-up connection itself, you'll have to have it connected when
you go home.  You'll need to know the IP address that was dynamically
assigned by your work machine's ISP (winipcfg is a good way to find it).
When you get home, you'll call the ISP you use at home.  Once on-line, you
can point vncviewer at the IP address of your work machine.

VNC doesn't do serial links or dial-up connections itself.  Several people
have suggested adding such features, but noone has taken the source code,
added it, and released the changes yet.  Feel free to do it yourself!

Albert