NT RAS problems and VNC

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:33:55 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Todd Aiken wrote:

> 	True, as I just discovered, but I do have to log in anyways in
> order to run another program that keeps time synchronised with
> another server, as the clock on my RAS machine doesn't keep very
> good time (on a side note, does anybody know of a good program
> that runs as a service in NT 3.51 that will keep the time in sync?)

Couldn't you set up a scheduled command to run - on NT, something like:

"at 00:00 /every:mon,tue,wed,thu,fri,sat,sun "synctime.exe"

where syntime.exe is a the program you normally run to synchronize the
time?

> > Storing the Ctrl and Alt state coming from the remote client would
> > fix this problem but might lead to others, which is why I haven't
> > doen that yet.  Since there's a single routine that handles all
> > keyboard events coming from clients, it would be a straightforward
> > patch to make.
>
> 	Well, if you need someone to test it, let me know as I'd be happy to
> give it a try.  Our RAS server that runs NT 3.51 is not critical,
> and is only used internally by our computer department and a few
> other people, so I can test stuff like that and not have to worry
> about getting tons of complaints from people if the server happened
> to go down for an evening.

OK.  I may add the code as an NT3.51 hack sometime.

> Oh, BTW, I just experienced for the first time the Win95B crashing
> upon exit problem that was reported to the list a few days ago-had to
> reboot in order to restore things to order.  I don't normally use
> WinVNC at work to access my RAS server, since it is only a few
> steps away from my office.  I usually use X Windows and vncviewer
> from home over my PPP link, so I guess this is why I haven't seen
> this bug before now.

So what was running on the machine that crashed?  The server or the
viewer?

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -