Multicasting

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:20:44 +0000

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Ronald L Fox wrote:

> At 05:31 PM 10/15/98 +0100, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
> >On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tipping, Karl - IT Support wrote:
> >
> >> Is there or has there ever been a multicast version of WinVNC? If not, is
> >> there one on the way.
> >>
> >> What I am thinking of is using WinVNC in a laboratory type environment. 44
> >> Windows 95 PC's connected to one Windows 95 Lecturer/Teacher PC. The current
> >> WinVNC is too slow at updating/refreshing each individual PC.
> >
> >If you have a Unix machine on the same network as the others, you could
> >pass the WinVNC output through an Xvnc - Xvnc handles multiple clients far
> >better than WinVNC, which currently is arranged in a really silly way with
> >regard to multiple connections.
>
> Sounds like a very useful application for VNC but how would one get Xvnc to act
> as a proxy RFB server?  I don't see anything among the documented Xvnc options
> that suggest this behavior is currently possible.

You simply start the server at the same resolution as your PC screen.
Then you run a copy of vncviewer inside that server, without a window
manager, and using the wmdecoration flag, to get a full-screen viewer.
The viewer connects back to the PC and then you let the lab machines
connect to the Xvnc server.

That should work, albeit with some latency added because of the extra
layer of indirection.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -