NT Server hangs

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:20:36 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Jason Ozin at JBD wrote:

> server and the viewer on my W98 machine. Works brilliantly unless the server
> negotiates a dial out TCP/IP session while the viewer is active. What
> usually happens then is a complete network freeze (but not always). The
> server and workstations still function but there is no network. Re-booting
> the server solves the problem.
> >

> I now find that it is not only RAS that causes this but any activity that
> plays with TCP/IP settings as you have found. I also think this behaviour is
> more prevalent on a dual processor server rather than a single processor
> server. Is your server a multi processor?

Do you see a similar problem if you're in the process of downloading a
very large file from somewhere while the dial-up connection is being
negotiated?  (Basically, is the problem isolated to VNC, or does it also
occur when any kind of continuous-traffic IP connection is in progress?)

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK - Tel : 343000
Laboratory for Communications Engineering, Cambridge - Tel : -