NT Server hangs

Jason Ozin at JBD jjo "at" jbd.org
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 16:08:03 +0000

I have reported a similar problem previously.
Namely:

<
We have a TCP/IP NT4 and W95/98 network. We have the VNC server on the NT
server and the viewer on my W98 machine. Works brilliantly unless the server
negotiates a dial out TCP/IP session while the viewer is active. What
usually happens then is a complete network freeze (but not always). The
server and workstations still function but there is no network. Re-booting
the server solves the problem.

I now find that it is not only RAS that causes this but any activity that
plays with TCP/IP settings as you have found. I also think this behaviour is
more prevalent on a dual processor server rather than a single processor
server. Is your server a multi processor?

I wish I could work out why this is happening as it means I'm reluctant to
use VNC for anything but quick basic access.

Jason Ozin
JBD - Jewish Blind & Disabled - UK
The Independent Charity providing independent living
Tel: 0181 883 1000
Fax: 0181 444 6729
Email: jjo "at" jbd.org

From: <Christian.Hessmann "at" magelan.net>
Subject: NT Server hangs

I'm using a 3.3.2 R5 Viewer on a NT Workstation and a 3.3.2 R2 Server
on a NT Server (BDC, second WINS-Server) (both 4.0 SP3).

Every time I use VNC and try to work with the WINS-Manager through
VNC-Viewer, then, after some minutes, the NT Server hangs, no blue
screen, just absolutely no activity (Num, Mouse).
The VNC-Viewer close and is not able to connect to the server, ping
also doesn't work.

I think it only happens if I try to work with the first WINS-Server
through the WINS-Manager of the second WINS-Server (I know that sounds
confusing, but I think that=B4s it). I tried that three times, and it
happend three times (after some work).

If I do the same thing without VNC (working on the server), nothing =
will happened, everything works fine.

If I use VNC without working in the WINS-Manager, everything also works
fine.

I think it's a problem with VNC and the WINS-Manager.

Can someone reproduce this problem?

Thank you, bye

Chris Hessmann