Crashing Win95 with mandatory profiles

Albert Crosby acrosby "at" comp.uark.edu
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:13:29 +0000

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, jmarijne wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We are having the following problems.
> We use vnc to help our students, during the classes. So all (win95)pc's
> have the server running from the startup-group. The teacher can connect
> to each of the students, bij using the client-prog.

That's exactly the setup I'm using.

> The student pc's are using mandatory profiles stored on a file-server.
> That means that they can not update their own user.dat....
> Because of that, eacht pc's crashes when you shut it down.

I use mandatory profiles too, and don't have any problem.  But I want to
be clear here.  Microsoft's method for mandatory profiles doesn't keep the
user from making changes to USER.DAT during their session.  It forces
Windows to copy the USER.MAN file from the user's home directory to
USER.DAT at login time.

You may need to update your mandatory profiles to be sure they include the
VNC section in the registry.

> Could the program be changed so that it stores its passwd in
> system.dat e.g hkey_local_machine ?

Actually, it already does.  That's how you can connect when it's running
as a service and no user is logged in.  But when a user is logged in, new
sessions use the user's password if it's set.  I *think*, but could be
wrong, that if there's no VNC section for a user, the local_machine
password is used.  You might experiment.