NT RAS problems and VNC

Todd Aiken taiken "at" ubishops.ca
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:13:27 +0000

> Date:          Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:32:15 +0100 (BST)
> From:          "James [Wez] Weatherall" <jnw "at" orl.co.uk>
> To:            Todd Aiken <taiken "at" ubishops.ca>
> Cc:            vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk
> Subject:       Re: NT RAS problems and VNC

> On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Todd Aiken wrote:
>
> > I am running VNC server on our RAS server, which is also NT, but
> > version 3.51.  I wasn't sure if it would work, since the install
> > claims that Service Pack 3 was needed, so thus I assumed NT 4 only
> > but it seemed to install and runs fine even with RAS running as a
> > service. Can someone tell me though if it is possible to run VNC
> > server as a service in 3.51, or will this only work in 4?  I would
> > much rather do that then have to login all the time and remain logged
> > in, like I do now.
>
> At present, WinVNC will work under NT 3.51, whether in application mode or
> service mode.  However, service mode generally isn't useful because a bug
> in WinNT 3.51 prevents WinVNC from discovering whether or not the Ctrl and
> Alt keys are pressed on the fly.

	True, as I just discovered, but I do have to log in anyways in
order to run another program that keeps time synchronised with
another server, as the clock on my RAS machine doesn't keep very
good time (on a side note, does anybody know of a good program
that runs as a service in NT 3.51 that will keep the time in sync?)

> Storing the Ctrl and Alt state coming from the remote client would
> fix this problem but might lead to others, which is why I haven't
> doen that yet.  Since there's a single routine that handles all
> keyboard events coming from clients, it would be a straightforward
> patch to make.

	Well, if you need someone to test it, let me know as I'd be happy to
give it a try.  Our RAS server that runs NT 3.51 is not critical,
and is only used internally by our computer department and a few
other people, so I can test stuff like that and not have to worry
about getting tons of complaints from people if the server happened
to go down for an evening.

Oh, BTW, I just experienced for the first time the Win95B crashing
upon exit problem that was reported to the list a few days ago-had to
reboot in order to restore things to order.  I don't normally use
WinVNC at work to access my RAS server, since it is only a few
steps away from my office.  I usually use X Windows and vncviewer
from home over my PPP link, so I guess this is why I haven't seen
this bug before now.

CU L8R...

Todd A. Aiken                  | This space can be yours, for just four
Technician                     | easy payments of $39.95.  Plus, buy
Cole Computer Centre           | one half and get the 2nd half for 50%
BISHOP'S UNIVERSITY            | off the cost of the two together!
Lennoxville, Quebec, CANADA    | Call 1-800-4-RIPOFF today!