NT RAS problems and VNC

Fri, 16 Oct 1998 10:43:32 +0000

On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Todd Aiken wrote:

> I am running VNC server on our RAS server, which is also NT, but
> version 3.51.  I wasn't sure if it would work, since the install
> claims that Service Pack 3 was needed, so thus I assumed NT 4 only
> but it seemed to install and runs fine even with RAS running as a
> service. Can someone tell me though if it is possible to run VNC
> server as a service in 3.51, or will this only work in 4?  I would
> much rather do that then have to login all the time and remain logged
> in, like I do now.

At present, WinVNC will work under NT 3.51, whether in application mode or
service mode.  However, service mode generally isn't useful because a bug
in WinNT 3.51 prevents WinVNC from discovering whether or not the Ctrl and
Alt keys are pressed on the fly.

Storing the Ctrl and Alt state coming from the remote client would fix
this problem but might lead to others, which is why I haven't doen that
yet.  Since there's a single routine that handles all keyboard events
coming from clients, it would be a straightforward patch to make.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000