Multicasting

Ronald L Fox rfox "at" dls.queens.org
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 07:45:35 +0000

At 05:31 PM 10/15/98 +0100, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:
>On Thu, 15 Oct 1998, Tipping, Karl - IT Support wrote:
>
>> Is there or has there ever been a multicast version of WinVNC? If not, is
>> there one on the way.
>>
>> What I am thinking of is using WinVNC in a laboratory type environment. 44
>> Windows 95 PC's connected to one Windows 95 Lecturer/Teacher PC. The current
>> WinVNC is too slow at updating/refreshing each individual PC.
>
>If you have a Unix machine on the same network as the others, you could
>pass the WinVNC output through an Xvnc - Xvnc handles multiple clients far
>better than WinVNC, which currently is arranged in a really silly way with
>regard to multiple connections.

Sounds like a very useful application for VNC but how would one get Xvnc to act
as a proxy RFB server?  I don't see anything among the documented Xvnc options
that suggest this behavior is currently possible.

Regards,
Ron
--
Ronald L Fox                           Email: rfox "at" dls.queens.org
Diagnostic Laboratory Services, Inc.