vnc server (linux) and cpu usage.

Gavin artlite "at" iafrica.com
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 22:50:02 +0000

I am running a rendering program (BMRT) on my linux server which I want
to make available to users for the purposes of creating small fast
renderings (thumbnails ??) for evaluation. The speed under vnc is approx
one twentieth of rendering locally. Running top in a seperate shell I
see that vnc server's cpu usage jumps from a couple of percent when not
in use to approx 90 % or more when BMRT is invoked, and then settles to
maybe 70% BMRT never gets more than about 30%.

I am truly grateful that this even works, but it would be nice to get a
bit more speed. Any suggestions are gratefully accepted....

Gavin D-Selby