VNC speed mystery (vnc viewer on Win95 laptop)

FRANK PAPA FPAPA "at" email.usps.gov
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 17:50:10 +0000

     Couldn't it just be as simple as the hardware?  That hardware you'=
re
     using is relatively ancient.  I don't know ANYTHING that would run=

     well in that configuration.  And we all know how well Win 95 works=

     (heh)!

                                                   -Frank

______________________________ Forward Header _________________________=
_________
Subject: VNC speed mystery (vnc viewer on Win95 laptop)
Author:  owner-vnc-list "at" orl.co.uk at INTERNET
Date:    10/14/98 12:11 PM

Hi folks, I have another question about VNC working mysteriously slow i=
n one
configuration, much faster in others.  The slow case is this: vnc viewe=
r running
on Win95 laptop (50MHz 486, 20MB memory), 10Mb Ethernet (just ethernet,=
 no
routers involved), vnc server running on WinNT desktop (400MHz PII, 128=
 MB
memory).  For example, the initial screen update transfers at about 600=
0
bytes/second.  I've done some packet tracing, and see no lost packets o=
congestion, but I *do* see TCP flow control limiting the transfer.  I p=
resume
this means the limiting factor is the performance of the vnc viewer.  T=
he fast
cases include running the vnc viewer on the same Win95 laptop against a=
n X vnc
server.

Thanks,
Mike