VNC speed mystery (vnc viewer on Win95 laptop)

Mike_Spreitzer.PARC@xerox.com Mike_Spreitzer.PARC "at" xerox.com
Wed, 14 Oct 1998 16:25:44 +0000

Hi folks, I have another question about VNC working mysteriously slow in one
configuration, much faster in others.  The slow case is this: vnc viewer
running on Win95 laptop (50MHz 486, 20MB memory), 10Mb Ethernet (just ethernet,
no routers involved), vnc server running on WinNT desktop (400MHz PII, 128 MB
memory).  For example, the initial screen update transfers at about 6000
bytes/second.  I've done some packet tracing, and see no lost packets or
congestion, but I *do* see TCP flow control limiting the transfer.  I presume
this means the limiting factor is the performance of the vnc viewer.  The fast
cases include running the vnc viewer on the same Win95 laptop against an X vnc
server.

Thanks,
Mike