ultrix,copy/paste,sgi-openGL,....

Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:59:07 +0000

On Tue, 13 Oct 1998, Laurent Bardi wrote:

> -about vnc server mac-OS / Ms-window : it seems that we can launch the
> server under win32 even if no one is connected: is true only for NT or
> for win9x and WinNT?

I'm not sure what you're asking.  If you mean "Can the WinVNC server run
even when no user is logged in?" then the answer is yes.  It's called
Service-Mode and it's documented on the VNC web page.

> I plan to use VNC for 2 task:
>
> -first as an X-emulator for some scientific prog we use, the server
> would run on unix machine and client would only be mac /win32.
> Who has experience with that ?

I do this all the time.  My Unix sessions are all instances of Xvnc which
are the same size as my PC desktop, so that I can use them full screen.
Most of the time it works a treat.  The only exceptions are when highly
stippled areas are revealed or initially drawn, at which point there's a
second or two delay.

> -second as a tool for repairing the "micros" (using it as timbuktu pro)
> so, will there be one day a vnc server for mac 68K (i hope), is there a
> way to start automatically the vnc server at startup (for win32/macOs):
> not only launching the binary but launching the service?

Under Win32 this is straightforward, using the "service" mode.

Hope that helps,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000